PS 619 - Health Policy: An Introduction
Health and Public Policy – fundamentals.
- What is meant by health? What qualifies as health policy? Who are the stakeholders when we talk about health policy?
- Role of policy and law in public health and health care.
- Social determinants of health and effect of policy in these spheres.
- Role of health policy in development, with a focus on the sustainable development goals.
Overview of existing health policies in India. All or some of these policies may be discussed in detail, depending on student interest.
- History of health policy in India.
- National immunization programmes. Pulse Polio program.
- Tuberculosis, Leprosy and HIV.
- Malaria and other vector borne disease eradication programmes.
- Family planning and population control policies.
- Policies for non-communicable diseases.
- Nutrition and maternal and child health policies.
- Policies concerning sanitation and access to water.
- Policy initiatives for mental health and well-being.
Epidemiology, Health Statistics, and Health Policy.
- Introduction to concepts of epidemiology- mortality, morbidity rates, odds ratios, natural history of diseases, finding causal connections.
- Understanding the techniques of collection and reporting of health statistics.
- Overview of the national health surveys.
- Designing and implementing surveys and healthcare interventions.
Health Policy, Finance and Budgeting.
- Budgetary outlays for health care and health policy implementation.
- Insurance and cost distribution for health care and preventive health services.
Health Bureaucracy and Public Health Institutions.
- Overview of the health care and public health related human resource at the level of the center, state, and district.
Role of international and national nonprofits in public health and health care delivery and monitoring.
- Taneja, D. (2017). Health policies and programmes in India-15 edition.
- Doctors Publications.
- Sengupta, K. (2016). Determinants of health status in India. Springer India. Brimnes, N. (2016).
- Languished Hopes: Tuberculosis, the State and International Assistance in Twentieth-century India. Orient black swan (indisk). Sundar, D. K., Garg, S., & Garg, I. (Eds.). (2015).
- Public Health in India: Technology, Governance and Service Delivery. Routledge. Farmer, P. (2004).
- Pathologies of power: Health, human rights, and the new war on the poor (Vol. 4). Univ of California Press.
||6 credits - Lecture